Saturday night dinner; hearty and relatively healthy chowder!
Because of the bacon and all the canned ingredients, this recipe tends to get pretty salty. Try to use as many low salt or no salt added ingredients as possible!
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup diced Spanish onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (370 mL) 2% evaporated milk
- 1/2 can (270 mL) no salt added diced tomatoes, very well drained)
- 1 can (398 mL) no salt added cream corn
- 2 cups grilled chicken breast, chopped (about 2 small chicken breasts)
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce (J likes Guinness Bulls-Eye)
- fresh ground salt and black pepper to taste
Marinate chicken breasts to taste, the Guinness Bulls-Eye BBQ sauce works well with this recipe. Grill until cooked through. Chop into bite size pieces and set aside.
Cook chopped bacon in large non-stick pot over medium-high heat. Cook until lightly browned, but not crisp. Stir in onion, red pepper, celery and garlic. Cook and stir until veggies are soft.
Mix thyme and flour in small bowl. Add to veggie in three additions with chicken broth and evaporated milk. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and stir continuously until soup thickens slightly.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in tomatoes, cream corn, chopped chicken breast, BBQ sauce and salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot. Enjoy!